ResinDek® vs Concrete
ResinDek panels have the proven structural integrity and the strength you associate with a concrete floor, yet offers substantial savings. It is quite common to save up to $5/sqft* or more with tax benefits when using ResinDek instead of concrete.
How? Simple... Less Weight + Less Footings + Less Steel + Less Time = Real Savings
- ResinDek is 90% lighter than concrete which allows for less steel to be used in the support structure.
- With ResinDek concrete footings may be significantly reduced or eliminated altogether.
- Platforms usings ResinDek can be designed with an allowable deflection limit of L/240, whereas concrete's allowable deflection is limited to L/360; this reduces the amount of steel required in the support structure.
- Construction time can be reduced by as much as 3 - 5 weeks depending upon the size of the job.
- Concrete needs time to cure, ResinDek is supplied with a factory finish, so once ResinDek is installed it's done.
- The material cost per square foot for ResinDek is less than that of concrete.
Concrete with Corrugated Steel Deck weighs 45lbs/sqft
ResinDek® with Corrugated Steel Deck weighs 5lbs/sqft
Success Story #1 - Customer Saves $644,000 Using ResinDek Instead of Concrete
A large sporting goods retailer had used both ResinDek and concrete for elevated platforms before. They needed two identical mezzanines at their Katy, Texas DC. So the question became, what type of flooring would provide the best value? Two identically sized mezzanines were constructed at the same DC and a cost analysis was performed.
Cost Summary - Concrete Mezzanine
1. Footings: $285,000
2. Structural Steel: $823,000
3. Steel Erection Plus All Other Costs: $1,598,000
Total Cost of Structure: $2,706,000
Heavy concrete structures require massive footings and 14" columns
Cost Summary - ResinDek Mezzanine
1. Footings: $148,000
2. Structural Steel: $535,000
3. Steel Erection Plus All Other Costs: $1,379,000
Total Cost of Structure: $2,062,000
Re-engineered ResinDek Mezzanine only requires 10" columns
Total savings with ResinDek was $644,000. The ResinDek product gave us some real price advantages, and we were able to pull in savings in 3 areas; the footings, the structural steel, and the erections costs. Using ResinDek also allowed us to use smaller diameter piers with smaller bells on the caissons.
Russell Bergeron President of Tri-R-Erecting & Main Contractor
Success Story #2 - ResinDek Saves Time, Money and Provides a Level Platform
A project located in Manchester, U.K. had a three level mezzanine with 222,000sqft per level. The flooring system that was selected was 3/4" ResinDek HD with the TriGard® finish and corrugated steel decking. During the final walk through, the Main Contractor made the following comments:
"The ResinDek flooring system offered a substantial savings over elevated concrete platforms, which was the only real alternative for this project. The levelness of this floor (plus or minus 1/8" across 222,000sqft continuous surface) is just not something that we can normally produce with concrete".
"The speed of installation was impressive. ResinDek goes down quickly, and the floor, once installed, allows for instant structural access for subsequent trades. Concrete, on the other hand, requires 10 days of curing time per bay, along with additional screeding and levelling work. My guess is that we saved a solid 5 weeks of construction time by using ResinDek instead of concrete".
"We are sold on the superiority of the ResinDek Flooring System compared to a traditional concrete floor!"
* Actual savings may vary based on project scope and location. Tax benefits are based upon estimates and the ability to categorize the mezzanine as equipment rather than a part of the building structure. Consult local building codes and tax advisor before using any information provided.